Chocolate is believed to contain more than 600 chemicals that may have important health benefits.
- Flavonoids in chocolate function as antioxidants that prevent the build-up of coronary arterial plaque, which is known to contribute to the development of heart disease.
- One of the flavonoids in chocolate, catechin, is found in tea and is believed to protect the heart as well as the immune system.
- Catechins may also have anti-cancer enzymes; and they also contain heart-healthy benefits from the suppression of platelet aggregation and the reduction of oxidized LDL (the "bad" cholesterol) blood levels.
- Chocolate also contains magnesium, potassium, manganese, and small amounts of protein, vitamin A, phosphorus, calcium, and trace amounts of iron.
- Hot chocolate has an impressive amount of disease-fighting (especially heart disease and cancer) antioxidants, and the heat may help propel them into the bloodstream.
Consume chocolate in moderation, no more than one bar a week, to obtain its benefits and avoid overdoing it on its fat and sugar.
Pictures are for display purposes only--actual products/decorations may vary.
Remember that ANY healthy gift basket can be decorated for ANY occasion!
Basket will be decorated with YOUR recipient/occasion in mind!
Unforeseen high demands may occasionally necessitate an item substitution in a basket. The substitution will always be of equal or greater value. In addition, we reserve the right to suspend the shipping of chocolate when temperatures could cause melting. Typically we substitute other products for chocolate from May-September, but unusually warm weather my necessitate substitutions at other times of the year. Please contact us if you need additional information.
The information provided on the WellBaskets.com site is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Please consult your healthcare provider with any questions or concerns you may have regarding your condition. Allergy statements (gluten free, dairy free, etc) are based on statements from individual food manufacturers. Well Baskets LLC assumes no liability for claims made by food companies. Always read labels to check ingredients if severely allergic.